[g1-hackers] Openmoko on G1 and ADP1

Brian Swetland swetland at android.com
Tue Jan 13 03:29:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 06:16:37PM -0500, Brian Gupta wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Eddie C. Dost <ecd at brainaid.de> wrote:
> > > Why not port Openmoko to the G1 and ADP1?
> >
> > The biggest problem I see here is that while the FreeRunner device has
> > opensource drivers available for the full HW stack, the same is not
> > true yet for the G1/ADP1 hardware.
>
> It isn't?  What is missing on the G1 side?  I see full Linux kernel
> source for all drivers for my ADP1 hardware, what is missing for yours?
>
> And of course we will never get the source to the GSM modem, but as that
> is running on a different processor, it's not an issue here.

currently, proprietary userspace bits include:
- htc RIL (radio interface) library and data files
  (this is glue between the telephony layer in android and the AT/QMI
   control channels provided via GPL kernel drivers)
- libhgl.so - qualcomm/ati opengl ES library
- libqcamera.so - qualcomm camera library
- akmd - software to process and adjust compass/accelerometer events
- qualcomm h264 codec frontend (does some processing the dsp cannot do)

There are no proprietary/closed kernel components.

We are working on trying to find a reasonable way to make these bits
available
other than "extract them from the filesystem of an existing device".  For
most
of them, they're probably usable as-is, with the RIL as the biggest pain
point
(as it is specificly for the android telephony layer, but headers for the
topside
interface exist, etc).

We're working hard with Qualcomm and other silicon vendor partners to
reduce the number of proprietary userspace components in future projects.

We've been able to maintain a "no proprietary kernel modules" policy so far
and I have high hopes of that continuing for future projects.

Brian