[g1-hackers] Offline Maps

Sid Hussmann s.hussmann at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 08:24:46 UTC 2009

I would like to get the native android maps application work without
an internet connection.
Even though Maps caches some of the data, the cache will be deleted
after a while.
I can think of two approaches to enable offline maps:

Approach 1:
Prevent the cache from being deleted. This will require to make an
symbolic link from the SD-card to /cache.
I tried to look at the files in /cache, however trying to cd into it
gave me an error:
cd: can't cd to cache

Approach 2:
With TangoGPS for instance you can use maps from google and even download them.
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/TangoGPS#Using_Google_Maps_with_tangoGPS
I assume the android Maps application gets its map tiles with HTTP-GET
requests, just like TangoGPS.
This would allow us to write a simple server with i-jetty, which will
handle the HTTP-GET requests and return the map tiles
(http://code.google.com/p/i-jetty/).
Then redirect the url http://mt1.google.com/mt?&x=%d&y=%d&zoom=%d to localhost.

Any ideas?
S.