[g1-hackers] Offline Maps

James Nylen jnylen+g1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 12:38:30 UTC 2009

I don't know about the second part (how you would spoof the DNS of the maps
server) but you have to be root to see /cache.  Also, I think that folder is
not used by applications like you would expect.  The browser's cache, for
example, is at /data/data/com.android.browser/cache.  There is probably a
similar location for the maps cache.

And once you get in there, you chould probably just chown root:root * and
chmod o-w * so that the maps application would be unable to delete the tiles
you want to keep.  I'm not sure how that would work if you want to keep them
on the SD card though.

-James